• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

layoff before 401k matched

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevinb76

I have been with my current employer for two years 10 months. For my 401k, they match .50 for every dollar once you have been with the co. for three years (including all $ put in 401k leading up to that three year anniversary- which for me would be about 15K that I would get from the company).

My company has been systematically laying people off every couple of weeks for the past couple of months (about 2-3 people each time). They have been giving two weeks severance at my level as that is their policy (which was last updated in April of '96).

I vest my 401k at the beginning of January. Would I be able to make any sort of claim that they chose to lay me off because I was approaching my vesting date?

Is there any legal threat I can make to my employer if I get the boot between now and when I vest in order to get a better compensation package?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">