• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

layoff rumours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bretts

while at work a coworker says that he had heard my name mentioned in a future layoff so asked several other coworkers and they had heard the same thing. it seems as though everyone knows and i have to go to work everyday and have all these people stare at me then go home and stress out about how to pay the bills when this layoff happens. my question is, is there anything i could because of leaked information causing me undo stress and turmoil in my daily life

thank you brett in illinois

Last edited:

L

louism1954

layoff rumors

gossip is a very common thing at any workplace. A lot of people just can't keep their big mouthes shut. Go look for another job, and if you get it, quit on the spot. There is no law that says you have to give a certain amount of days notice. Of course you can always go and talk to your supervisor and tell him/her straight out that certain people(and name all of them) have upset you with layoff rumors.

Understand this right now. Employers only care about the bottom line, the profit margin, etc. They don't give a rats rear end about how your life might be effected if you were layed off. They just don't care. And anybody who thinks they work for a place that does is under one gigantic dillusion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, as an employer I don't fully agree with Louis's stance, but at the same time he's right that just because there is a rumor to the effect that you are going to be laid off, doesn't make it true. As to whether you would have any legal recourse, it's highly unlikely. I suppose if you could PROVE that the EMPLOYER deliberately started the rumor in order to make you quit, it's just barely possible that you might have some recourse, but even that is doubtful. Have you asked if there is any truth to the rumor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">