• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

layoff/terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fisherjayj

Dear Sir/Mam,

I was employed with a local company in a high skilled position of machine maintenance and repair of computer operated machinery. This involves high voltage 3-phase power, and very fast moving parts. I was the only person in this company in this field. During my 14 months of employment, I did my job in a professional manner, and did not take shortcuts; it was against my ethical duty and could have disastrous results. As time went on I found many electrical systems jury-rigged, and I encountered many surprises that could have injured others or myself. As I encountered these problems I would repair the system to the electrical code.
Anyway, as time went on my ethical duty was making my supervisor look as if he was not doing his job properly. I was making him look bad just by doing my job. I had an excellent employee record, so there was no just cause to fire me.
To make a long story short, my boss and the CEO of the company conspired and sabotaged one of the machines I rebuilt “ They sabotaged their own equipment” in an effort to defame me and a reason to fire me. I discovered the act of sabotage after inspecting the damage; this foiled their plan. The catastrophic failure could have injured the machine operator. Six weeks and $20,000 later I repaired the damage, and got the machine back on line.
Finally, I was let go when the machine was finished and up and running. I knew it was coming. They could not fire me, so they laid me off. I was offered four weeks severance pay for 14 months employment if I signed their waiver. Paying me off to keep quiet. I never accepted the severance and hired an attorney.
I feel my attorney of four months is not doing the job they stated in my contract. It seems for some reason,
Everything is going at a turtles pace, and no suit yet filed. Any help or comments are welcome. This is at will employment, and my case is unlawful termination in violation of public policy.
Thank You
Jay in Washington state

:confused:

L

loku

From what you say, it sounds like you do have a good case if you can prove it. As for the time the attorney is taking, 4 months is a short period of time in the law. Also, your attorney may decide it is better strategy to bargain with the company before filing suit. On the other hand, s/he could be procrastinating or may have taken on a bigger case load then s/he can handle. What does s/he say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">