• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

layoff/transfer question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bornitz

What is the name of your state? California

I work in IT (unix admin - non-union) for a large computer manufacturer/services corporation. I was hired into this organization as part of an outsourcing deal almost 2 years ago. I wasn't happy about it, but they matched my salary and permitted our team to telecommute. It seemed like a good deal at the time.

A couple of months ago, there was talk of massive layoffs on the horizon. So, I started to look for other opportunities within the company (as well as outside) with the hopes of finding a safer account. The company has a long standing policy of permitting/encouraging employees to transfer from one account to another if a suitable position is available and your manager approves and provides a release date. I applied for one such position and was turned down by my manager because he said that he could not provide me with a release date "with everything going on right now". He said that it was something we could work towards down the road.

Now, they are beginning what appears to be a series of massive layoffs. This company is notorious for hiring hundreds of thousands over several years and then cutting them loose when the bottom line isn't favorable. I've also read postings by fellow employees saying that all transfers are currently frozen to avoid employees who have been given their 30 day notice to save themselves from being cut.

I will continue to look for other positions within the firm as well as outside, but things look very bleak from within.

My questions are:

Is it legal for them to prohibit me from seeking another suitable position within the company (even though it's their stated policy), yet lay me off when they are told by management to make cuts?

Do I have any legal recourse with regard to this matter?

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They have no legal obligation to allow transfers. Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you were denied a transfer BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc. and/or that you are being laid off for the same reason, both the refusal to transfer you and the layoff are legal.

bornitz

Thanks

Discrimination is not an issue here. They simply want to cut costs and by preventing transfers they can guarantee that no employee slips through the cracks and stays employed.

Thanks again,
Bonnie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">