• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

layoffs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

catherinesp

texas

i was laid off last month in a company-wide "reduction in force". i have a few questions. as a construction superintendent, I was always having to fight much harder than any of the men in my company to get reciognition. i took an equal workload of projects, that i was fully responsible for. when our company was forced to liquidate (100's of people in the company) 4 people in my department - 3 nonproductive supers were fired and I was laid-off. Since I made the least (and produced the most, by the way), why can they justify letting me go? This was one week after three new (male) supers had been hired (all of whom kept thier jobs, even though they were still in thier "trial period".) I have worked for this company for 1.5 year and always had excellent employee reviews
1. If my "reduction in force" was necessary to meet the quota why could they keep the new people and let me go?

2. Is there any difference between a "reduction in force" and a layoff?

3. Should my company have given me 60 day's notice under the WARN Act?

4. Is there anything that protects a tenured employee over a trial employee in such a situation?

5. Is thier anything that protects a hard working female from being kicked out of a good ole boys club when it happens to be her profession?

6. If I am "eligible for rehire" with this company, does this mean that I should be hired for the next position that they seek to fill?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">