+ Reply to Thread
    santinosmom333 is offline Junior Member

Leave of absence request denied

What is the name of your state? California

I have been a supervisor for about 2 yrs (1st time) and problems arose w/ subordinate where we both had written warnings, I then I realized I am not good at the position I have and requested to step down w/ less hours. It was told to me that option was not available at our branch (we are over staffed, according to an internal report) and I must continue in this position, after a month or so of stressful days & walking on eggshells, FOR ME, i decided to request a leave of absence, which was denied due to "staffing issues". On the assumption that the reason was to help my grade-failing son at school, br. mnger offered me less hrs to help out my son, one day and changed the terms the next day, which was after I agreed. The Br Manager never directly asked me the reason, in fact, she said I didn't have to tell her, she did however assume the reason.
    I was given 3 options- 1. accept less hours and leave when coverage is complete for the day , 2. stay @ 40 hrs or 3. give resignation. I am about to resign tomorrow 3/27/08 If i am wrong in thinking i have something, please let me know.

Current Occupation: Operations Utility
    Which Employer: Current Employer
    Length of Employment: 3.5 years
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand your question. But, the employer hasn't done anything wrong (at this point). You are resigning. You will likely NOT be eligible for unemployment too.
    I understand I won't be eligible for UI, I am not concerned about that right now. It appears as though I was a little coerced into resigning, given the circumstances. I wanted to step down and was told I couldn't and my leave request was denied.
    Last edited by santinosmom333; 03-27-2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santinosmom333 View Post
    I feel as though I was a little coerced into resigning, given the circumstances. I wanted to step down and was told I couldn't and my leave request was denied.
    You were given options - you chose to resign. They don't HAVE to approve a leave of absence, as you presented it...
    How many employees does your employer have within a 50 mile radius?
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    Unless you were asking for a medical leave that qualified under FMLA, your employer had no legal obligation to approve a leave of absence; nor did they have any legal obligation to approve your stepping down. They gave you options, which is more than they were required to do; if you don't like the options that's not their problem, sorry.

I see no legal recourse in anything you have posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    You were given options - you chose to resign. They don't HAVE to approve a leave of absence, as you presented it...
    How many employees does your employer have within a 50 mile radius?
    As I presented it? I am not sure about what you could possibly mean by that? This employer has aproximately 200 employees in about 50-60 miles radius. Why do you ask?
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    He is asking on the off-chance that FMLA applies.

Was the leave of absence you asked for, for a medical condition? If so, what was it?