• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leave of absence request denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

santinosmom333

What is the name of your state? California

I have been a supervisor for about 2 yrs (1st time) and problems arose w/ subordinate where we both had written warnings, I then I realized I am not good at the position I have and requested to step down w/ less hours. It was told to me that option was not available at our branch (we are over staffed, according to an internal report) and I must continue in this position, after a month or so of stressful days & walking on eggshells, FOR ME, i decided to request a leave of absence, which was denied due to "staffing issues". On the assumption that the reason was to help my grade-failing son at school, br. mnger offered me less hrs to help out my son, one day and changed the terms the next day, which was after I agreed. The Br Manager never directly asked me the reason, in fact, she said I didn't have to tell her, she did however assume the reason.
I was given 3 options- 1. accept less hours and leave when coverage is complete for the day , 2. stay @ 40 hrs or 3. give resignation. I am about to resign tomorrow 3/27/08 If i am wrong in thinking i have something, please let me know.

Current Occupation: Operations Utility
Which Employer: Current Employer
Length of Employment: 3.5 years

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't understand your question. But, the employer hasn't done anything wrong (at this point). You are resigning. You will likely NOT be eligible for unemployment too.

santinosmom333

I understand I won't be eligible for UI, I am not concerned about that right now. It appears as though I was a little coerced into resigning, given the circumstances. I wanted to step down and was told I couldn't and my leave request was denied.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I feel as though I was a little coerced into resigning, given the circumstances. I wanted to step down and was told I couldn't and my leave request was denied.
You were given options - you chose to resign. They don't HAVE to approve a leave of absence, as you presented it...
How many employees does your employer have within a 50 mile radius?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you were asking for a medical leave that qualified under FMLA, your employer had no legal obligation to approve a leave of absence; nor did they have any legal obligation to approve your stepping down. They gave you options, which is more than they were required to do; if you don't like the options that's not their problem, sorry.

I see no legal recourse in anything you have posted.

santinosmom333

You were given options - you chose to resign. They don't HAVE to approve a leave of absence, as you presented it...
How many employees does your employer have within a 50 mile radius?
As I presented it? I am not sure about what you could possibly mean by that? This employer has aproximately 200 employees in about 50-60 miles radius. Why do you ask?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He is asking on the off-chance that FMLA applies.

Was the leave of absence you asked for, for a medical condition? If so, what was it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">