• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving employer to join a client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freedom1982

I work in the state of Illinois

My employment agreement says that I should not join a competitor or a client within 1 year of termination of employment with my current employer.

I am currently working on-site at one of the client of my company. The client now wants to hire me.

Would it be a big risk to accept the offer? Is my current employer likely to take legal action against me if I resign and join the client, keeping in mind that I work as an analyst which is not a high profile job.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no possibly way we can guess how likely it is that your employer will take legal steps to hold you to the agreement you signed. Someone took the crystal ball home with them and hasn't brought it back.

Mass_Shyster

I work in the state of Illinois

My employment agreement says that I should not join a competitor or a client within 1 year of termination of employment with my current employer.

I am currently working on-site at one of the client of my company. The client now wants to hire me.

Would it be a big risk to accept the offer? Is my current employer likely to take legal action against me if I resign and join the client, keeping in mind that I work as an analyst which is not a high profile job.

Thanks
If old employer loses contract with new employer at the same time you leave, they will put two and two together.

If old employer does not lose contract with new employer, the next person sent on-site will probably report back to old employer that you were seen there.

Either way you're opening yourself to get sued.

ecmst12

It says you should not join a client or competitor OR ELSE WHAT? What does it say the repercussions will be? And are you willing to risk it?

You must take your non-compete agreement to a local attorney for review if you want to know how enforceable it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">