• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lizziej

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California
Hi,
I work as an administrative assistant for a small construction company. they have had trouble with employees who work for us and also work for other companies too. They asked me to type up a letter for the employees requiring them to tell us who else they work for. I don't know where to begin (i.e. how to word it) or if this is even legal. Can they require this information from their employees? Thanks for any advice!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can legally ask the employees to disclose any other jobs they may have. What's more, they can fire employees who are working for another company that may promote a conflict of interest.

For that matter, they CAN fire an employee for working at a second job at all. I would hope that they would have a moonlighting policy before they would take such a step, however.

I'm only guessing as to the purpose of such a letter, but let me propose the following:

"Effective immediately, all employees are required to report to x any supplemental employment they may have. This is to prevent any possible conflict of interest that may arise out of a second position."

HomeGuru

lizziej said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California
Hi,
I work as an administrative assistant for a small construction company. they have had trouble with employees who work for us and also work for other companies too. They asked me to type up a letter for the employees requiring them to tell us who else they work for. I don't know where to begin (i.e. how to word it) or if this is even legal. Can they require this information from their employees? Thanks for any advice!
**A: ok, some of us here have other jobs too. Drug dealer, mobile home park manager, male stripper...............

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">