• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jewels1

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was in management at my former employer and was always told I was not allowed to discuss any employees termination with anyone outside of our company. I was recently terminated and came to find that one of my former employees, 2 days after my termination, began discussing it with a friend of hers, who in turn told numerous people at the large hospital she works at. Being in the medical field I feel I have been wrongfully judged now by the facility and any hopes of attempting to gain employment there have been squashed. The reason for my termination is completely unrelated to my abilities to perform my job duties, but I now will not be given the opportunity to explain this due to the rumors that have been told. Any legal advise would be appreciated. thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although requiring that management not discuss employee terminations is a good business practice, there are not laws that prohibit it. On the facts you have posted, I see no legal recourse - they have no legal obligation to hire you or even to let you present your side of the story.

jewels1

Thank you for your response, I do understand how the rumor mill is. I was just wondering since I was always told we were not allowed to give any info. about an employee's termination or even their work history except for the dates they worked and if they were able to be rehired to potential employers that call for a reference. I was always told we could be in violation of defemation of character if we were to tell an employer negative things about a past employee. Oh well life goes on as they say and I am sure things will be just fine, it was just very hurtful to hear this.

HomeGuru

jewels1 said:
Thank you for your response, I do understand how the rumor mill is. I was just wondering since I was always told we were not allowed to give any info. about an employee's termination or even their work history except for the dates they worked and if they were able to be rehired to potential employers that call for a reference. I was always told we could be in violation of defemation of character if we were to tell an employer negative things about a past employee. Oh well life goes on as they say and I am sure things will be just fine, it was just very hurtful to hear this.

**A: if there is punishment, it is an employer-employee thing only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">