• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbarac

What is the name of your state? MD

I would like to know if it is legal for a retail store to have a minor(my son) sign a (promissory note), a loss prevention civil claim ? It was signed to give their store back money for the honest mistakes he made while he worked there, which he was then fired soon after, and was asked to sign this document. Am I wrong in saying that any document that concerns money and a minor, shouldn't one of the parents be present? Need help, for they have given my son a time limit, and if not paid they will take civil legal actions against him.

pattytx

It is not legal unless the employee has given his express, written authorization (not a blanket statement). This is true for all employees, minors or not.
http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wagepay/wpdeductions.htm

However, the question becomes whether this statement was voluntarily signed, i.e., sign it or don't work here. I recommend your son contact the Maryland Dept. of Labor to inquire further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">