• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this LEGAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

butterflykissed

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?OhioundefinedOhio

I was hired almost a year ago with perm. restriction and the promoted to Store Manager after 3 months on the job. Now they are not sure I can work with the restriction. Even my regional manager does not wish to let me go. However she says it is up to Corp. Office Legal Dept. Can they do this??

My restriction are lifting 7 - 14 lbs, no over shoulder work, push pull 10lbs and the store Manager who hired me said this was not a problem and I could work around it. I have been working around it and know what my limits are. I do do more than the restriction allow , but I know when to slow down.

Last edited:

justalayman

Does this mean you can't get perms. and what would that have to do with your job. (don't take it seriously)

Explain a bit more. What kind of restriction and does it prevent you from doing your work?

butterflykissed

lefting up to 14lbs, push/pull on more than 10lbs and no over the shoulder work.

I unload trucks twice a week. No more than 50 lbs. I load up long carts at weigh 10 lbs unloaded and push them to the sale floor where I can put away the merchandise. I use a step ladder when work is need over my shoulder.

justalayman

Generally situations like this are legal. If you cannot do the job, they can terminate you. Actually in most cases employers don't need a reason to terminate you and as long as it is not discriminatory as defined in the federal guidelines it is legal..

The company may even be concerned of being drawn into paying for an injury that really is no fault of theirs. The thing you need to be aware is by ignoring your restrictions you could be causing additional harm.

Check back to see if anybody has any other advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">