• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

42peanutmom

I know of an employer who has told his employee that they can not recieve unemployment if he keeps their name on the schedule but does not give them any hours. The employee did not quit, just took another part time job so they cut back the hours they were working at the first part time job.

He told the employee that it was all legal and the employee could not do anything.
Is this legal? :confused: :confused:

If not what can the employee do?

???from Wisconsin

Last edited:

Litigation!

42peanutmom said:
I know of an employer who has told his employee that they can not recieve unemployment if he keeps their name on the schedule but does not give them any hours. The employee did not quit, just took another part time job so they cut back the hours they were working at the first part time job.

He told the employee that it was all legal and the employee could not do anything.
Is this legal? :confused: :confused:

If not what can the employee do?

My response:

Do you have a reading/comprehension deficit?

US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE​

IAAL

justalayman

Although I do echo Litigation!'s response, there is a generalized answer.

In many states you can file for and recieve unemployment benefits if your hours are reduced. Unemployment is somewhat of a misnomer. Underemployment also can be a qualifying event.

It is generally based upon your total income compared to your weekly benefit amount.

The rules are very specific to the state involved so to recieve a specific answer you need to post the relevant state.

42peanutmom

I just asked a question...

I just asked a question, I was not looking for a RUDE answer!
Are you always like this? :mad:
If you are a lawyer I would hope that you don't act like this all the time.
Lighten up!:D

Litigation!

42peanutmom said:
I just asked a question, I was not looking for a RUDE answer!
Are you always like this? :mad:
If you are a lawyer I would hope that you don't act like this all the time.
Lighten up!:D

My response:

When you don't follow simple instructions, how would you expect us to act? You deserve being treated like an idiot when you don't read.

Would you like a pillow and warm blanket with your answer?

IAAL

42peanutmom

Get a life!
Am so sorry that you don't have a real job and all you have is this site to show off your low IQ
Maybe you should practice the following......
WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT!

It may come in handy very soon!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your question is:

It is not the employer who decides whether you get unemployment or not. It is the state. You can file for unemployment no matter what your employer says. He can contest it on the grounds that your name is still on the schedule, but the state will decide if that is enough to disqualify you or not, not your employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">