• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

generally speaking; yes

there are some exceptions such as union rules, illegal actions due to discrimination, in some states, an employee manual that has direction to the contrary, any contractual relationship that does not allw it, and probably a few more

Wisconsin

Can a supervisor suspend you without any warnings verbal or written?

If you mean was it unlawful no it is not. Now outside of a union contract or any other binding cba or employment contract an employer is not even legally required to follow its own polices in some cases

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No state requires warnings of any kind before suspension (or termination!) can take place unless a binding contract, CBA or policy so states. Given that such a policy or contract would mean that an employer could not suspend or fire someone who punched their supervisor in the nose, was witnessed sexually harassing someone or who set fire to their manager's desk without warning them first, the likelihood that any such binding policy exists is slim.

mschrenk

can a supervisor tell coworkers you quit?

I just learned from a coworker that my supervisor is telling everyone that I quit my job. I was suspended on false accusations. However thier is no rep I can go to since my company does not allow unions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds like you need to apply for unemployment benefits.

It's a good way of seeing what the response from your employer is. If they take no action, you can pretty much take it that you're fired. If they contest saying that you quit, the burden of proof will be on them to show that you did. If they contest on another basis, at least you'll know what's going on.

mschrenk

Can they hold out

I get the feeling that the company is trying to hold out until I quit. When I ask about the false susspention they keep saying they will get back to me. It has been over one week.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know how to make this any more clear than I already have.

NOTHING YOU HAVE POSTED SUGGESTS THAT YOUR EMPLOYER IS VIOLATING ANY LAWS.

You do not have to officially quit, or be officially notified that you have been terminated, before you can apply for unemployment. You can file the claim, telling the UI commission exactly what you have told us here. It will be up to the state whether or not you qualify. However, since the UI commission will need to talk to your employer, you will ulitimately get more information about what your employer intends.

If that doesn't work for you, then I have no further suggestions and you're on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">