• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wannakno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I worked for a company for 10 1/2 months, did not quite make the 1250 hrs. I was hospitalize for 4 days, then taken out of work for 5 weeks on disibility per my doctor. I requested FML and was denied due to not enough time on the job. The benefits dept. at work told me I am considered terminated due to "job abandament". I informed all the reqired personnal of my absence immediately. Now I am due to return to work next Monday and no one will speak to me about my return, instead I feel they are stalling for some reason.Is it legal for my employer to term me while on medical leave and list job abandament as the reason?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes.

Since you did not qualify for FMLA, your employer was not obligated to hold your job. It is a myth that you are immune from termination as long as you are on medical leave - that only holds true if FMLA applies. There are no laws that dictate to the employer what they can and cannot list a termination as being for.

BTW, you did not qualify for FMLA on two counts; it's 1,250 hours AND 12 months employment, not 1,250 hours OR 12 months employment. This is Federal law; it is not the employer's opt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">