• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Advice Needed!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thagan319

(Virginia)
I was recently terminated from a company I had been at for 10 months. Over the period of my employment at this particular company, I witnessed many employees, middle and upper management included, make "offensive comments" to one another, as well as aiming these comments toward myself. When someone made one of these "offensive comments" no recourse was taken by the company in any sense whatsoever, not even a verbal request to withhold such comments in the future. This in my mind set a precedent that no action would be taken for making such comments. The reason given to me for my termination was attendance, which I had a standing medical excuse for, as well as making what they classified as an "offensive comment" to another employee. Would my the reasons for my termination, given all circumstances, give me the grounds to file a wrongful termination suit?

las365

What do you mean by "a standing medical excuse"? What is your medical condition?

What was the offensive comment that you made?

Thagan319

I have been diagnosed with chronic insomnia, i cannot sleep without some type of sleep inhibitor. I was prescribed to Trazadone 150Mg, which commonly puts the user in such a deep sleep as to where waking can be difficult. My medical excuse explained all of this, as well as my doctors reasoning as to why my medication could not be switched. As far as the comment, all i am comfortable saying is it was a comment which had been made around, and to me, countless times before.

Proserpina

I have been diagnosed with chronic insomnia, i cannot sleep without some type of sleep inhibitor. I was prescribed to Trazadone 150Mg, which commonly puts the user in such a deep sleep as to where waking can be difficult. My medical excuse explained all of this, as well as my doctors reasoning as to why my medication could not be switched. As far as the comment, all i am comfortable saying is it was a comment which had been made around, and to me, countless times before.
A legitimate medical condition does not mean you can't be fired for performance issues (such as being late, attendance issues etc), even if those things are related to your condition.

Did you ever report any of these objectionable comments?

(btw I don't think you mean sleep inhibitor - that would refer to a drug meant to inhibit - prevent - sleep :) )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">