• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? is it legal to ask what your present salary is at your current job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ericl

Is it legal for a perspective employer to ask what your current salary is at your present employer? It seems unethical, either over the phone or in person in the interview, especially when it is the first-third question they ask. Scenario:

prosp employer: 1. Why are you looking for employment elsewhere? fair enough question
2. When will you be laid off? 1/15/00, fair enough
3. What is your current salary?

My questions are is this legal?
If so, how do I best handle this tactfully? Give range of salaries, depends on benefits, in keeping with market average for position, etc?

Seems unethical to me. I feel like I am put on the spot, because I want the interview, but if I got the offer, do not want to be told here is what we are offering, and it being a low salary on purpose to see if I bite.
thank you for any one who reads this and responds to all my questions.
ericl

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

My usual response: either "above market rate" or what is the base range offered/will be offered for this position?

Then go accordingly.

E

ericl

thanks to lawrat

I think I like the response of answering a question with a question, What is the base salary offered? and going from there. Still, is it kosher to ask this question at all?

ericl

B

buddy2bear

There is nothing illegal about asking you how much you make. After all, everyone asks you that question don't they? However, giving a range as an answer is far better than "locking" yourself in. 9 times out of 10, employers will use the excuse, "well, you make more than we are willing to pay," which can be true, but it also gives them a convenient, legal way out of hiring you. You can say, "I make between $ and $, but I am willing to negotiate because I like your company." Isn't it a shame that we have to play games?

crager34

good advice buddy2bear

All my Recruiter friends tell me the same thing. The only instance where I would tell them exactly what I made before...if I really wanted the job and money wasn't that big of a deal (within reason).

As with most questions of this type, you are not required to answer any of them, but then how bad do you want the job. Also, an interview is a two way street. Not only are they looking at you, you are looking at them. Make sure they are the right fit for you. When they ask you if you have questions for them.....ASK!!!

E

ericl

crager34, buddy2bear--thank you for your responses

The reason why I ask this is because, even if it is not illegal, which obviously I found out it wasn't, it just seems so sly and unethical. I agree, it is a shame that there is so much game playing. I also think crager34 is right, it is a two-way street, and every time I have been asked this question, I have never taken the job, even when they offer, just because of pure principle. In the two-way street, I am looking at it like, "Here's looking at you, kid"--anotherwards, right back at you. On a side issue, whenever a prospective employer has an ad anywhere out there that says send salary requirements, or salary history, I don't bother with those "jobs" either. I say "jobs" because at that point I don't consider them "career material" for asking or stating questions like this.
ericl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">