• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Firing Etiquette

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justaquestion6

What is the name of your state? New York, Suffolk County

I was let go from my job at 7:30am in the morning. by phone. According to some friends, it is illegal to fire someone over the phone, and further, it is illegal that when I got to work 20 minutes later, w/a box to pick up my personal belongings, they were already packed in a box. I still don't even know at this point why I was let go, 'cause I hung-up on my EX-boss when he said the magic words.

Thanks for any insight.

HomeGuru

justaquestion6 said:
What is the name of your state? New York, Suffolk County

I was let go from my job at 7:30am in the morning. by phone. According to some friends, it is illegal to fire someone over the phone, and further, it is illegal that when I got to work 20 minutes later, w/a box to pick up my personal belongings, they were already packed in a box. I still don't even know at this point why I was let go, 'cause I hung-up on my EX-boss when he said the magic words.

Thanks for any insight.
**A: thank you for posting and good luck in finding a new job.

H

hexeliebe

As long as your ex-boss was properly seated in his chair, his feet were firmly planted on the floor and his gig line was in order there is nothing improper about your firing.

Have fun finding another job.

H

hexeliebe

Oh, I forgot about that NY frame of mind....

But one question? If the boss is allowed to be standing, where does that leave the secretary?

HomeGuru

hexeliebe said:
Oh, I forgot about that NY frame of mind....

But one question? If the boss is allowed to be standing, where does that leave the secretary?
**A: kneeling of course.

J

justaquestion6

Thanks for the humorous replies - and the actual answer, guys. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask a question. It may be embarrasing, but it doesn't hurt :)

Beth3

To inject a serious note, justaquestion6, your friends are all mistaken. While I don't think your boss handled this very well and it's certainly not what I would recommend, there are no laws that dictate what protocol an employer must use when informing an employee they are terminated. The employer was also perfectly free to pack up your personal belongings as well.

Your next step should be to file for unemployment benefits. If your employer contests your claim, they will have to provide a reason to the UC office and you will be advised what they are stating as the reason for your separation.

J

justaquestion6

I think she's got class. Thank you for taking the time to jump in with a serious note. I appreciate it, and am dialing the phone right now! Have a great holiday (all three of you.)

H

hexeliebe

It's the worsted wool suit, hair in a bun, the tortoise shell glasses and the pumps.....

Oh GAWD!!! I need a cold shower.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TOP 10 Reasons It's Poor Etiquette To Be Fired By Telephone - -

NUMBER 10: It's difficult to keep a straight face when you have to say on the telephone, "Pepe, you're fired".

NUMBER 9: Instead of firing you by telephone, the boss should have waited for you to arrive at work so he could dump you out of a moving car.

NUMBER 8: At the meeting the night before your firing, your boss said, "I sure hope somebody gets fired for this - I'll call Pepe in the morning."

NUMBER 7: You knew what was going to happen when your boss started the telephone conversation by saying, "Hello sucker".

NUMBER 6: You knew immediately you were fired when your boss told you, "by the way, your desk and stapler were sold for scrap".

NUMBER 5: You didn't know what it meant at the time, but the day before you were fired, your co-workers started referring to you as "the ghost of unemployment future".

NUMBER 4: Being fired by telephone was better than finding a lovely wreath of pink slips on your office door.

NUMBER 3: You knew you were going to be fired when your boss came over for Thanksgiving and he was crushed under avalanche of stolen office supplies.

NUMBER 2: You're lucky that you were fired by telephone because in your most recent performance evaluation, the word "crap" appeared 78 times.

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE Reason It's Poor Etiquette To Be Fired By Telephone - -

You know you're fired when your boss tells you on the telephone that, from now on, the only question you'll be asking is, "Paper or plastic, Ma'am?"

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">