• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to hold personal belongings??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susanw004

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have recently resigned from a position at a company after 3 years. Right before I left, I discovered they have a HUGE class action law suit against them for unlawful practices in some states. In my resignation letter, I mentioned my knowledge of this.

Since my resignation, they have been calling me to make an appointment in order to sign resignation paperwork. They state they will hold on to my personal belongings until I do so. As a matter of fact, my manager's exact words were "If she doesn't sign the paperwork, well I guess she'll never get her stuff". Do I legally have to do this? I never signed any paperwork stating this would be a requirement if I were to resign. I just can't imagine this is legal. Any opinions or knowledge of this?

And I am very hesitant to go back to the office for several reasons. Mostly due to the fact that the job made me physically ill the last year or so I had been there, even requiring me to be out on disability for 5 months. The thought of going there even one more time makes me tense up and feel sick to my stomach.

Thanks for your time in reading this. If any other information is needed, please let me know.

ecmst12

Send them a very nice letter (certified, return receipt requested) advising that they are to send you your belongings by mail. Offer to pay for postage if you like, or even send them a pre-paid UPS label (if you know about how much your stuff will weigh). If you don't receive them in 10 days, you will take legal action. If they have papers they want you to sign, tell them they can MAIL the papers and you will consider signing them. You can't possibly agree to sign something until you've read it.

If you want to add some extra punch, pay a lawyer a couple hundred bucks to write it for you. Letters from lawyers are EXTRA scary (that's why they can charge for the service).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">