• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to limit your earning/ income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LadyHa

Recently all employees in our company were asked to sign a Non-Compete agreement because a former manager left the company and was trying to hire us into their new company.

I signed this agreement. There have since been a period of layoffs within my company. When I signed this agreement I renegotiated to receive a guaranteed draw and to receive commission if I go over my quota, for a period of one year. Since all of this was signed, I am now being limited as to how many accounts I can have and how much money I can make, the whole structure changed. My quota was raised 45%, my customer list was cut in half. For example: I was offered a large account, but in order to get it, I had to give up one or two of my existing accounts that generated the same amount.

I see this as limiting my earning potential. After the year is up, I will have to reach my quota in order to get my draw. By giving up these other accounts, I won't be able to meet my quota. Is it legal to limit your earning potential? If they do this, can I leave this company and make the non-compete not valid because isn't limiting my earning potential a breach of their responsibilities? They are making it impossible for me to meet my quotas and forget about making any additional commission! Which means after a year I will have to leave anyway because I won't be able to meet my quotas. If they fire me or lay me off, then all contracts are void. They are making my working conditions intolerable.

I have spoken with my manager and sales manager about this and they tell me that's the way it is, if I don't like it, I can look for something else. But, with my non-compete agreement I would have to relocate to get a job. I already have 3 other companies ready to hire me here.

Help, I'm frustrated! Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks!:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">