• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reddhart

I live in Florida and was recently offer a position by a New York based company for a position in a new office based in Florida. I was told what the position was and what responsibilities I wound have to perform. This office was not open yet but was due to open in the near future. For the time being I would commute to New York every week until the office in Florida was ready.
The other day I was told that the office in Florida was not going to be a reality. The office will now be located in Pheonix.
When I took this position I told them that I would only accept the position is it were based out of the planned Florida office.
Now I am told if I want to keep my job I will have to commute to New York indefinitely. Do I have any legal options?

E

Elliotg

Just because things did not work out as promised does not mean that you have a legal cause of action. You have to be able to show/prove that you suffered damages (i.e. Quit other job to take this one, purchased house in Florida based upon employer's promise, etc. . . ) Did you suffer any damages?

You should schedule a formal consultation with a lawyer. A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting your State's bar association or your local county bar association. They probably have a web site and charge a nominal fee for the referral. Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee.

Good Luck, Elliot Jay Goldstein (offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

R

reddhart

I quit my existing job (of 20 years) to take this one. Would that be considered damages?

E

Elliotg

It would, but you are also under a duty to mitigate (lessen)your damages. Have you asked for your old job back? If you have, what did they say? Assuming your old employer refuses to rehire you, then you might have a decent case.
Do you have anything in writing to support your contention that your employer knew that you only took the position because they represented that it would be located in FL? Do you have anything in writing to show that the position was supposed to be located in FL.
Even if you do not have any written evidence, you still might be able to prove your case, but it will be more difficult. Do you have any witnesses who would be willing to testify?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">