• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a for-profit business to hire a volunteer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richard_z27

What is the name of your state? New York
Hello. I am wondering if it is legal to hire a volunteer who does work for a for-profit small business (sole proprietorship) and who doesn't receive monetary compensation. Is there any law stating that workers for a business organization must be paid minimum wage at least? Thanks!

Katy W.

There is a law that states that employees have to be paid minimum wage. There are no laws I know of preventing companies from using volunteers.

Beth3

I am wondering if it is legal to hire a volunteer who does work for a for-profit small business (sole proprietorship) and who doesn't receive monetary compensation. Since this is a for-profit business and presumably not a charitable organization, you need to speak to a tax advisor about this. You may be in violation of wage and hour laws by not paying at least minimum wage.

pattytx

I agree with Beth3. It is very rare that for a for-profit company to have unpaid volunteers. However, Since this is a sole proprietorship, if the volunteer is a family member, it might be allowable. I recommend checking with your accountant.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">