• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RickG9

I live in PA. My wife took a job on the exectutive staff of a small startup company (~ 70 employees) about 7 months ago. Several developments have occured, which we need legal help with (we are seeking advice of attorney as well).

First the BACKGROUND:

1). About 4 months ago, we found out she was pregnant. She told her employer after the first trimester (about 1 month ago).

2). The company had a significant reduction in force (not performance based) of about 12 of 65 people, or ~20% of total staff, with my wife being one of those who lost her job.

Now my QUESTIONS:

1). Because she is pregnant and will not be able to find a job in her (now 6-month) pegnant condition, is there any case to be made for "forward pay", since they left her in a very difficult position to find other employment for a significant peroid of time (until well after the baby is born)?

2). Her signed work contract calls for 3 months severence pay for job termination without cause (as in this lay-off case). However, her severence letter only states 2 weeks pay (if she signs and gives up her right to sue). The Human Resources VP tried this before with a previous employee. The employee contract entitled him to 3 months severence pay, but his termination letter initially said 2 weeks. When he questioned this, the HR VP said it was an "oversight", and he did get his 3 months pay. The HR VP later commented to another employee that "she hoped he wouldn't catch that in his contract". She has now tried this again with my wife - but we haven't called her on it yet...Is there a case to be made for attempting to intentionally (unethically) mislead an employee on benefits entitled them?

3). Finally, if the 3 months severence pay is in her work contract, is she obilgated to sign a letter giving up her right to sue in the future to collect this benefit?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">