• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to record face-to-face conversations in CA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedHelpHere

I'm having issues with my boss and wanted to know if it is legal to secretly (with a hidden recorder in my pocket) record face-to-face conversations in CA?

davidmcbeth3

There is good reason for this policy; if the person recording was the only one who knew a recording was being made then the person could "steer" the other party into saying things that they ordinarily would not say.

Oddly, I don't think that PC programs like dragon speaking naturally or similar transcribing programs are covered...I think it is only audio recording that is not allowed.

Perhaps someone makes a small transcribing device that does not store the audio..??

Silverplum

Oddly, I don't think that PC programs like dragon speaking naturally or similar transcribing programs are covered...I think it is only audio recording that is not allowed.

Perhaps someone makes a small transcribing device that does not store the audio..??
You should read the law, thoughtfully provided by RR, and find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">