• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Recourse to Job Termination without Cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tblanchard

I was employed by a sub-contractor to perform work at a government facility. The prime contractor arbitrarily terminated my position (as well as 4 others) without reasonable cause. The prime contractor then hired new people (at what I believe to be a higher salary rate).

The whole story: Prime contractor overspent on the overall contract by 25%. Asked our company to take a 25% cut. Proposed to remove one person. Then ALL jobs were terminated by the prime contractor, including my job.

Pirme contractor president defamed me and others within my group by informing government that we "sabotaged" records and did not perform for "two years". All lies.

What recourse to I have? Can I sue for defamation of character?

ALawyer

Forget the slander matter.

As for the termination, unless there was a contract of employment, or government requirements to maintain employees and terminate only for cause, if your state was an employment at will state, you're likely out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">