• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to request historical salary history?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kc7267

The state I am seeking employment in is Ohio.

A company invited me to interview for a salaried management position, had me complete an application for employment, and requested past salary information. I offered an approximate value for the most recent salary + bonus from last employer only.

The company HR has since requested 7-10 years of historical salary records in the form of W-2s and or release of salary key for electronic verification.

To date I have stated that these are unusual requests and am concerned about releasing confidential information.

They have stated this is their policy and to validate employment also means validating my past salaries.

Is this legal in Ohio or any where else in the US for that matter? Is there a chapter and verse to quote from Ohio employment law on this?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

las365

It's perfectly legal for them to ask for that information and documentation. It is also perfectly legal for you to decline to provide it. If you decline to provide it, it is legal for them to decline to hire you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal in all 50 states. However, if you're looking for a law that gives an employer permission to ask for this information, you won't find it. Rather, it is legal because there is no law prohibiting it.

Beth3

This prospective employer's request is not uncommon. If you don't wish to share this information, then I expect they will decide not to pursue you further for this opportunity. From the employer's viewpoint, your unwillingness to share this info may well make them think you are hiding something so if you are interested in this opportunity, I suggest you demure no further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">