• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal? Reversal of Auto Deposit after 6 days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LisaB0310

Hello,
My old employer owes me vacation time. On 4/20/01 they deposited what I thought was my pro-rated vacation into my account. On 4/26/01, they did a reversal and took the money back out of my account. I live in New York State. I did not find out about this until I started receiving insufficient fund notices on my checking account. When I contacted my employer, they stated that they were well within their legal rights of a '24 hour' reversal. I have incurred over 225.00 in bad check fees. Not to mention that the 495.00 check that was deposited was spent also.
What recourse do I have. Six days later, without notifying me seems unacceptable. I have researched all over the net and unable to find law on this issue. What is the law in regard to my employer and also any liablity on the financial institution? Thank you, Lisa

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Didn't the $ amt. seem high to you?

Employers are within their rights to withdraw overpayments to your account.

L

LisaB0310

No actually the amount of the check vs. the money I am owed are quite similar. I wouldn't have touched the money, had I thought there was an error. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. However, there are laws that govern transactions like this, I am just looking for the LAW, not a mere opinion. But thank you.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Thank you, for your thank you.

I'm afraid you'll find few lawyers on this site except "Lawrat," who seems to respond on weekends.

Sorry,

D. D.

L

LisaB0310

An Update on my situation

Just wanted to let you people who cared to read my post know the most recent update. My employer has contacted me today to let me know they have sent me a check to cover my fees incurred by their error. That is a good thing!!!!
I still am looking for the law.

Lisa

L

LisaB0310

Hello out there,
Anyone have any direction on where possibly to find the law that governs employer's vs. employee's automatic deposit. I already know that it was not legal for them to do this to me......just looking for the law that states this.

Lisa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">