• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal threats after resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jey5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I worked as a webmaster voluntarily for a non-profit corporation. I did not sign any contract with my former employer (when I joined the job), except an email communication from my former employer confirming me as the webmaster. I did all the work from my home. I left that voluntary job 2 months back and informed my employer at that time about by intention to leave the job and they agreed. Now the former employer is asking me to provide them the login and password information for the website account (of their website) that I have worked for. I already gave them that information when I was working (I gave them that information by telephone when I was employed). I no longer have a copy of those login and password details with me. Also I never used those login and passwords to access the website since I left the voluntary job. Now my former employer is threatening me of suing me unless I provide those login and password details and I have no way of producing the details which I do not have anymore. What legal options I have?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I worked as a webmaster voluntarily for a non-profit corporation. I did not sign any contract with my former employer (when I joined the job), except an email communication from my former employer confirming me as the webmaster. I did all the work from my home. I left that voluntary job 2 months back and informed my employer at that time about by intention to leave the job and they agreed. Now the former employer is asking me to provide them the login and password information for the website account (of their website) that I have worked for. I already gave them that information when I was working (I gave them that information by telephone when I was employed). I no longer have a copy of those login and password details with me. Also I never used those login and passwords to access the website since I left the voluntary job. Now my former employer is threatening me of suing me unless I provide those login and password details and I have no way of producing the details which I do not have anymore. What legal options I have?
Help them get the information. You may need to contact the host, or assist the organization in contacting the host.

Zigner

Based on the information provided by the OP, why is the answer not to tell them to pound sand?
Because, based on the information given by the OP, the easiest, smoothest and least confrontational path is to simply spend the very small effort that would be required to provide the information. There is nothing in the OP to suggest that there was any animosity at the time of separation, so why make things adversarial now?

jey5

Thank you.

However, I am not happy with my former employer. What are the legal consequences for me if I do not cooperate with them at all in getting that information? Can I ask my former employer to pay me some fee to help them get those login and password information (because I need to spend some time it seems if I agree to help them get that information)?

LeeHarveyBlotto

Because, based on the information given by the OP, the easiest, smoothest and least confrontational path is to simply spend the very small effort that would be required to provide the information. There is nothing in the OP to suggest that there was any animosity at the time of separation, so why make things adversarial now?
If he had the information, he would tell the former employer, I assume. Beyond that, why should he do something that someone in the organization can do?

LeeHarveyBlotto

Thank you.

However, I am not happy with my former employer. What are the legal consequences for me if I do not cooperate with them at all in getting that information? Can I ask my former employer to pay me some fee to help them get those login and password information (because I need to spend some time it seems if I agree to help them get that information)?
Short answer, you certainly can ask.

Silverplum

Thank you.

Alrighty, then.

Zigner

If he had the information, he would tell the former employer, I assume. Beyond that, why should he do something that someone in the organization can do?
Because one needs to choose their battles.

For the OP: Yes, you can ask for a fee. You could also (as Lee suggested) tell them to pound sand. If you are withholding information that would allow them to recover the login info, you may have a problem. That's why I suggest that you consider (at least) giving them advice on how to recover the information.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Because one needs to choose their battles.

If you are withholding information that would allow them to recover the login info, you may have a problem.
Where was this stated or implied? My reading of the OP is that he's already given them the information, and no longer has it. OP?

Zigner

Where was this stated or implied? My reading of the OP is that he's already given them the information, and no longer has it. OP?
What if the email address associated with the account is controlled by the OP?

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm simply suggesting that a cooperative approach may be the best path for the OP.

swalsh411

I'm sure you are not the only person to have lost your login credentials. Take a few minutes to help them. Since apparently you want nothing more to do with them, I would think you would jump at the opportunity to rid yourself of this burden and get all the account details switched to them.

LeeHarveyBlotto

What if the email address associated with the account is controlled by the OP?

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm simply suggesting that a cooperative approach may be the best path for the OP.
Then my answer might change. I'm going by what the OP posted, which I interpret as he turned over all information he had related to the site. That would include any e-mail addresses associated with the account. You seem to be determined to presume that the OP is withholding something from the organization, and I'm not sure why.

Zigner

Then my answer might change. I'm going by what the OP posted, which I interpret as he turned over all information he had related to the site. That would include any e-mail addresses associated with the account. You seem to be determined to presume that the OP is withholding something from the organization, and I'm not sure why.
I think you're reading too much in to my posts.

What I am saying is that, in life, it's sometimes easiest to be helpful and friendly.

jey5

Thank you all.

More details: I didn’t have that login and password information with me now. I think I can get that login and password info by contacting GoDaddy or so, where the account is hosted. When I was the webmaster, the former employer gave me all administrative privileges and I don’t think the former employer has no way/privilege of contacting GoDaddy now and get the details. The email address associated with the website account is controlled by my personal yahoo email account (I did not and will not turn over my personal yahoo email account to my former employer).

My first preference is: do not cooperate with my former employer at all: they troubled me a LOT. However I am concerned Zigner’s posting that I may have a problem if I do not cooperate at all.

My 2nd preference (if and only if the 1st preference is not feasible/possible at all): charge my former employer some heavy fee then help them get that information from GoDaddy.

Please suggest the best possible strategy for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">