• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legal work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dragonlord5311

What is the name of your state? Tennessee I work for a small hotel that does weekly and monthly rentals. I get a free room and $100 a week under the table. I am required to work from 9am to 9pm and then be on call to rent nightlys after that. I work 7 days a week and get no days off. Can i be fired from this job without a fight and can they get away with giving me so little and no time off at all.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dragonlord5311 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee I work for a small hotel that does weekly and monthly rentals. I get a free room and $100 a week under the table. I am required to work from 9am to 9pm and then be on call to rent nightlys after that. I work 7 days a week and get no days off. Can i be fired from this job without a fight and can they get away with giving me so little and no time off at all.

My response:

Do you get bathroom breaks?

IAAL

JETX

"Can i be fired from this job without a fight"
*** Don't know. How good a fighter are you??

"and can they get away with giving me so little and no time off at all."
*** Depends on whether you let them or not. Call your local department of labor.

Last edited:
R

Ramoth

OF course, the fact that you're being paid under the table should tip you off to the legallity of the rest of their policies.

D

dragonlord5311

Re: Re: is this legal work

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Do you get bathroom breaks?

IAAL
Yes, i get bathroom breaks, lol, but being serious, they actually get mad if i'm using the restroom or taking a shower and miss the phone or the front bell. I know, it's my own fault for doing this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: is this legal work

dragonlord5311 said:
Yes, i get bathroom breaks, lol, but being serious, they actually get mad if i'm using the restroom or taking a shower and miss the phone or the front bell. I know, it's my own fault for doing this.

My response:

Yes, it's that old Tennessee hillbilly mentality - - "What the hell you doing takin' a crap on my time, boy?"

There's nothing like them hillbillys!

IAAL

D

dragonlord5311

Re: Re: Re: Re: is this legal work

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yes, it's that old Tennessee hillbilly mentality - - "What the hell you doing takin' a crap on my time, boy?"

There's nothing like them hillbillys!

IAAL
Actually they (the owners) are not even american origin, they are from nextdoor i think to iraq. They say a man that makes 5 dollars a day in their country is rich beyond means, lol

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: is this legal work

dragonlord5311 said:
Actually they (the owners) are not even american origin, they are from nextdoor i think to iraq. They say a man that makes 5 dollars a day in their country is rich beyond means, lol

My response:

That's true. I mean, if you only wore a rag on your head, and a diaper over your privates, and rode a camel to work, you'd be rich too!

IAAL

Beth3

dragon, basically you have no status with this employer. You aren't exactly reporting the $100 "under the table" and the value of your free room on your year-end income tax filing, are you.

Sure they can fire you. You can also turn them into the DOL and IRS for these illegal practices. Just be prepared for the IRS to come looking at you as well. You're breaking the law too.

nextwife

Start looking for something better than this BS job that pays less than I pay my babysitter! Find something that actually PAYS you for your time. Don't wait for them to "fire" you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">