• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Let go from job no reason given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dispatch1

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was recently let go at the end of my shift. I was told to come by the managers office before going home. I went in, there were 2 people present. Area manager and my manager. Area manager said this is the hardest part of my job, at a time like this. It is not just you, our company is making a lot of changes. I said do you mean I am being fired, area manager said oh no let's don't say
that word that is an ugly word. I said Jesus guys I just had a heart attack on the job in August. And I am up to my neck in medical bills . this is Cold. You are giving me the death sentence. Well it is out of our hands you been a good employee for 16 years. We would still want to bee your friend we go way back you know. I shook their hand and walked out. I said I forgive you both for this cold act. I called HR in the Division office I was told that the 2 said I was not able to get along with my fellow employees. I said really and this has all come about after 16 years. Geez why did not someone ever call me on the carpet, or write me up. HR well I am just telling you what they said. I will not block you un-employment benefits. Sorry for being so long with post. but I am devastated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dispatch1 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was recently let go at the end of my shift. I was told to come by the managers office before going home. I went in, there were 2 people present. Area manager and my manager. Area manager said this is the hardest part of my job, at a time like this. It is not just you, our company is making a lot of changes. I said do you mean I am being fired, area manager said oh no let's don't say
that word that is an ugly word. I said Jesus guys I just had a heart attack on the job in August. And I am up to my neck in medical bills . this is Cold. You are giving me the death sentence. Well it is out of our hands you been a good employee for 16 years. We would still want to bee your friend we go way back you know. I shook their hand and walked out. I said I forgive you both for this cold act. I called HR in the Division office I was told that the 2 said I was not able to get along with my fellow employees. I said really and this has all come about after 16 years. Geez why did not someone ever call me on the carpet, or write me up. HR well I am just telling you what they said. I will not block you un-employment benefits. Sorry for being so long with post. but I am devastated.

My response:

Okay. That was a touching story. Did you have a legal question, rather than a rhetorical question, or did you just need someplace to vent?

If you just wanted to vent, then "I forgive you . . . for this cold act."

IAAL

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have not asked a question but I assume you either want to know if you have legal recourse or if your employer is required to give you a reason why you were selected for layoff.

The answer to both questions, based on your post, is no.

If the question is, was the employer required to tell you before your termination that someone had complained about you, the answer to that is also no.

You are in an at-will state and can be terminated for any reason that does not violate the law. That boils down to the fact that you cannot be fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc. and you cannot be fired BECAUSE you applied for or used a right or benefit guaranteed you by law (FMLA, workers comp, filing a complaint with OSHA, the EEOC or the DOL etc.).

You can be fired for any other reason.

D

Dispatch1

I guess it did sound like I was venting maybe I was I am sorry for my actions. I am also sorry I did not finish my post. All my co-workers disagreed with this action and are very supportive. They called me I did not call them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
IAAL - yep, all sparkling clean.

Dispatch1 - you still have not asked a question. Did I get one of them right?

The fact that your co-workers disapprove of the action does not make it illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">