• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Let go under doctors care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat_evans

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband took off work to have gallbladder surgery? 12 days later he returned to work - on light duty, he would still be under a doctors care for 4 more weeks. On the day of his return he was let go. Let me also add that his company knew he would have to have a second surgery once he was recovered. His position has been replaced - it seems they just didn't want someone on payroll that was going to be off work for a while. Is this illegal? Also, if it matters, the company had filed bankruptcy about a year ago - I don't know if this gives them special privledges or not. Help!!! Now we are unemployed, and unable to work for a while due to surgery recovery time. Are there any rights to protect us? Also, he had worked there a little over 2 years - he was an outside sales rep. The company size - well....big, thousands of employees. Oh! did I add they did this two days before Christmas (and I'm 7 months pregnant) - that doesn't make it illegal, but it does make them jerks!
- Cat

Last edited:

Beth3

1. How long had your husband worked there?
2. How many people are employed by this company?

C

cat_evans

To answer beths question

Beth -
he had been there a little over 2 years. The company is very large - thousands of employees nation wide.

Beth3

DUH - Sorry. I just saw you had included that information at the end of your original post.

I suggest your husband see an employment law attorney asap. Unless there's more to the story than you have shared (such as cut-backs that would have effected him regardless of his leave), it sure looks like an FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) violation to me. Or he can file a complaint directly with the federal Department of Labor. Don't delay much longer - there are statutes of limitations that apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">