• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Let Go Under False Reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Manda0319

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I was terminated from my manicurist position a little over 3 weeks ago. When I was let go the Manager specifically said,"We have to let you go because we are cutting back." I had no problem with this, understanding that the spa had not been very profitable. I later found out that after I was let go, the manicurist that had my position before me was hired back. Is there any legalities about being let go under the wrong or false reasons.

ecmst12

This is not an illegal reason to fire you. Nor is it illegal to lie about the reason, as long as the reason is legal. They don't even need ANY reason to fire you. That's what at-will employment means.

commentator

Take a breath: one, two, three....File for your unemployment benefits. If you were a regular wage earning employee, you may qualify for benefits, based on the wages you have earned in the last 18 months or so for covered employers, and being let go through no fault of your own. It doesn't matter if they then decided to rehire someone else. They can do anything they want to regarding hiring and laying off employees.

If you were a contractor instead of a regular employee while working there, you will not have unemployment as an alternative.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">