• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Let go very unhappy please advise what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gerrilynn

i live in New hampshire and was offered a position on dec 27,2005 i signed my acceptance letter then they asked me to fill out an application after being hired. on the application there was a question have you been convicted of a crime other than a motor vecile offence in the last 7 years for which i replied yes to it then asked me to explain i explained what happened it also state that it may not keep you from getting the job. I then started with this company on Jan 9 i was trained for 2 weeks and then worked a full week and made 8500.00 for the company in a 3 day period. today i was brougt into an office and told they were letting me go because they got my bacground check back after a month and not because what was on it but because i didnt fully explain on the application. Can they do this shouldn't this all have been done before i was hired. I answer the question truthfully. And explained all i could with the amount of space given . I told them i assumed my human resource manager would speak with me if she has any furthur concerns. What rights do i have. they admitted they did not handle things the right way now im out of a job making alot of money

mlane58

Can they do this shouldn't this all have been done before i was hired. I answer the question truthfully. And explained all i could with the amount of space given .
Yes they can. While I certaintly don't agree with their process being ass backwards. Employment offers are contingent on a successfully completed background check and drug screening. Usually, the employer will put a statement in your offer letter to that effect.
What rights do i have. they admitted they did not handle things the right way now im out of a job making alot of money
There was nothing illegal done. Even though the employer admitted handling the process poorely, you don't have recourse but to find another job.

gerrilynn

What if it was not stated in the offer letter and i didnt agree to a background check they never told me that they were going to do one just asked that question.

Gadfly

Their process stinks and is a waste of their time an money to start someone without doing a background check, but that's their stupidity.

As for if they said they were going to do a background check or not, with out seeing all the documentation you were given I don't know. Interviewing for a job involves a lot of stuff. Maybr you just don't remember all that transpired.

as for:
explained all i could with the amount of space given .
you could have/should have asked for additional paper to give a complete answer. Failure to fully disclose is frowned upon. In the hiring process you only get one chance to make a good impression.

mlane58

What if it was not stated in the offer letter and i didnt agree to a background check they never told me that they were going to do one just asked that question.
You would have had to sign a release in order for them to run a background check and that is your agreement. If you hadn't signed one they would not have run one and wouldn't have offered you the position.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For that matter, a release is only required if they plan to have a third party run the check. If they run it themselves, no release is required.

mlane58

For that matter, a release is only required if they plan to have a third party run the check. If they run it themselves, no release is required.
Very true cbg, but I don't know of too many companies performing that task themselves these days.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nonetheless, in this age of easy internet access to just about any information for only a small fee if any, it's a point worth noting.

gerrilynn

I didn't lie on the application i was truthful and even asked the secertary to have my point of contact call me if she had any questions. the question was have you ever been convicted of a crime in the last 7 years to which i answered yes to. I statred working there 3 weeks later and worked an additional 3 weeks before anyone said a thing to me. Did i red flag myself by answering yes to that question. I know that here are other people who work there who put no when they have been convicted and they still work there. Although i want to be honest i really excelled at this and made the company alot of money in three days should i go back and ask them to make an exception or just let it go.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one said you lied on the application. From what you posted the employer didn't even say you lied on the application. They let you go because you did not provide a complete enough explanation of the circumstances, not because they are claiming you lied. That's by your own words. The law does not obligate them to call you and ask questions if they are not satisfied with what you put on the form.

gerrilynn

If they were not satisfied by what i put on the form then why did they allow me to start working there 3 weeks after the form was completed. I trained for 2 weeks after filling out the form and then work another full weeks. I dont understand why they just didnt tell me not to come in why did they spend the money training me and then let me work. I just feel they made a hugh mistake and the human resource manager keeps trying to get me to talk with her. I am still very upset maybe i will try and email . they told me that it was not handle right on there end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">