• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

let go for workplace injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wgrnakrs

What is the name of your state? Ma.

Can my employer let me go because I was hurt on the job? I had a car accident while in co. vehicle. I didn't go on comp till 6 months later and wound up having surgery and another is coming up. My employer told me he has let me go as he doesn't want to pay my health insurance anymore.

I worked 6 months on many meds so I could work..(over 1700 pills I took,) I didn't want to go on comp. but here I am with 3 kids and a mortgage and I am a single mom. Slowly I am losing my home due to this accident and still have to suffer through another surgery and still won't kno the outcome.

The accident was Oct of 2003, and worked till May of 2004, returned to work Oct of 2004 till Dec, 2004, been out of work since

Can he do this?
Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Beth3

Unless your State's WC regs dictate something different, yes, they can let you go. Assuming the Family and Medical Leave Act applies, your employer only had to extend 12 weeks of leave to you and they did considerably more than that.

I suggest you consult with a Worker's Compensation attorney immediately. You don't mention whether you're receiving indemnity benefits from the worker's compensation carrier but it sounds like you should be as well as having all your medical bills paid for. You may also be entitled to a PPD settlement down the road and perhaps other benefits as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">