• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letter of commitment not honored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohya05

What is the name of your state? Maine

I was hired 6 months ago by a dealership that promised me a Business/Finance Managers position with a salary and commission that would easily make me 40k or more per year. I have not gotten that position since being here as I am forced to sell cars and the responsibilities of the Business/Finance Manager is going to the Sales Manager. I have asked why I have not gotten that position yet and have been told that I am better off selling cars. I have a letter stating from the GM, that clearly states that position and I purchased a home with that in mind. Now my job is not providing me with the 40k/yr in income and I'm in fear of losing my home because of it. What, if anything can I do?

Beth3

Unless the letter states specifically when you would be transferred into the Finance Manager position and when you would begin making the higher salary, then you do not have an enforceable agreement. If you can't make ends meet at your present wages, then you need to look for a new job with the income level you need. Good luck.

ohya05

Thanks, the letter stated that I would have the position on hire. When I started they said that I should be selling till I get training. As of now, no training and no intentions of training. They avoid me when I say I was hired here as Business/Finance Manager and say that we are doing fine just the way we are right now. Just keep selling and keep your mouth shut. I gave the letter of commitment to VP of bank that approved my loan because of it. There are hardly any jobs that pay that kind of money around here. I moved here from NH and was told that I would make 40k/yr here. Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'll need to show the letter to a local attorney to see whether or not it is enforceable. For the most part, offer letters are not usually binding but it depends on the EXACT wording and any applicable state law with regards to contracts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">