• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letter of No Confidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dktaprinss

What is the name of your state?CA
About 80 employees at our company banded together, signed a petition of no confidence against our Manager and Director. Apparently, they faxed to our CEO last Friday. I knew about this petition but I was not included nor did i sign it. I'm the Director's assistant. The problem is my boss, the Director, "heard" from someone in mgmnt about comments I made about them and the petition. The person in mgmt also knew about the petition and has made their own opinions known. Everyone knew! Anyway, the comments were not true. Our conversation was actually about coffee and nothing else! Anyway.. long story short...My boss is asking for an investigation into my alleged comments. Okay.. now my question.. when HR interviews me regarding this.. can i just not confirm nor deny anything? Is heresay an actual terminable offense? There was no one in the room at the time. Just us. I'm so tired of all their crap. I don't feel like I have to justify if I did say or didn't say something. As you can see.. if 80 employees collectively got together and wrote up a letter.. there must be something wrong.. right?! Can I be fired for not telling my boss directly about a petition to get rid of him?!

BelizeBreeze

You can be fired for signing, not signing or for knowing or for not knowing about the petition. In fact, unless you have a valid employment contract, you are at-will, which means you can be fired for just about any reason not protected by law.

If HR asks you about the incident tell them the truth and then tell them that if anyone has proof of the allegations to bring it forward.

Beth3

Okay.. now my question.. when HR interviews me regarding this.. can i just not confirm nor deny anything? Sure. Then the company will make a decision on your continuing employment based on what they've heard from others.

Is heresay an actual terminable offense? See above.

There was no one in the room at the time. Just us. Us? Then there were others in the room at the time.

I'm so tired of all their crap. I don't feel like I have to justify if I did say or didn't say something. You don't have to. It's entirely up to you.

As you can see.. if 80 employees collectively got together and wrote up a letter.. there must be something wrong.. right?! Not necessarily. Could be they don't like him because he requires them to get their jobs done and not screw around all day.

Can I be fired for not telling my boss directly about a petition to get rid of him?! Absolutely. You are his assistant. Among other things, I imagine he relies upon you to inform him of anything pertinent taking place in the workplace that he needs to know about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">