• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied about reason I was let go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chai1836

What is the name of your state? KS

I was "let go" from a job about 6 mos. ago. I had worked for the company for just over 3 years. When I was released I signed a exit interview sheet that stated..."Due to reorganization the company did not have a role for me" and they made mention to the fact the they were not going to provide the specific service that I was responsible for any more. I found out recently that another department, that I worked very closely with, took over my duties and hired someone to do the exact same job that I was told was no longer available with the company. I am a man she is woman and we have different religions. Not to mention that I can provide sworn statements from fellow co-workers that my managers held a pretty strong grudge against me for no reason...Do I have a claim for unfair termination? Could I be entitled to anything?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you have any evidence that you were fired BECAUSE OF your gender or your religion? If not, you do not have any legal recourse.

P.S. Neither the fact that your replacement was of a different gender and religion nor the fact that you were allegedly lied to about the reason for your termination is, of themselves, sufficient reason to determine that illegal discrimination took place.

chai1836

Okay...so discrimination may be out of the picture :( ... Are there any laws protecting me if they hire someone else after letting me go under false pretenses?

Thanks for the info, so far!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No.

Despite what many people appear to believe, a wrongful termination does not mean one that is unfair, unjust, unexpected, based on inaccurate or incorrect information, or, in most cases, even one that violates company policy. In order to have a claim for wrongful termination, you have to have been fired in a way that violates either Title VII or public policy. Title VII is the race, religion, national origin etc. business and you've already said that doesn't apply. A public policy violation can vary a bit with the state but in general refers to your having been fired BECAUSE you applied for or used a benefit or right that is protected by law. This can include, but is not limited to, taking FMLA or workers comp leave; asking for an accomodation under the ADA; reporting illegal or unsafe (under OSHA standards) activity to the appropriate outside agency; reporting sexual harassment; and so on.

Many employers are not comfortable with giving an employee the 'real' reason they were fired, even when it is perfectly legal and legitimate. For example, they don't want to tell the employee that their work is not up to standard, just because that's an uncomfortable conversation to have. So instead they make up what they think will be a "kinder" reason, such as, we're not going to offer that service any more. That's evidence of poor management, but not illegal.

Unless you have a valid reason to believe that either Title VII or public policy was violated, then this was not a wrongful termination, no matter how inaccurate the reason they gave you may have been.

Beth3

I am a man she is woman and we have different religions. There was at least a 51% chance that the person hired to replace you would be a woman since women make up 51% of the population in this country. The odds of hiring someone who happened to be of a different religion than you are substantially greater. The person who was hired being of a different gender and religion than you are does not make this discrimination.

chai1836

I know...I may have been reaching with the sex and religion thing. "cbg" is correct that the reason given may not have been accurate and that represents poor management. This company holds the patent on poor management. The quality of my work was excellent as evident in every single one of my reviews. I am just bitter and want a way to lash back at them...I guess I will keep searching. In the meantime I found another job that pays me almost double my previous salary, so I may have already enacted sweet revenge!

Thanks to all for the advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">