• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied about reference policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilybart79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am currently looking for a job. A prospective employer contacted one of my references (an old co-worker) who referred him to my old boss. My old boss said it was against company policy to give references.

This isn't true because I had other references from other departments. I also know my old co-worker feels that she will be punished if she gives me a reference. I know they are under no legal obligation to give a reference and shouldn't give a bad reference, but can they lie and say it's against company policy to keep other employees from giving references?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI it is not quite true that they "shouldn't give a bad reference". There is nothing illegal about a bad reference, if that would be a truthful reference. The law only prohibits FALSE information being given out. The law does not say and never has said that a truthful, but negative, reference is prohibited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">