• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life after Felony - adjudication withheld???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janah

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL

I am a teacher at an adult school. I have a student that had a felony charge of grand theft and fordging a false instrument(?). She has a two year probation, but states that adjudication is withheld. She has one year left on probation. Seven years ago she cashed a stolen money order for a friend - she was 17 at the time, she was unaware of the warrant.

She is taking the GED and will most likely pass it today. She's academically pretty smart and could very well be a good college canditate. She took her CNA (Nurses aide) testing and passed it, but they won't complete the licensure process at present because she is on probation still. She's going through the appeal process.

I'm assisting her in thinking of career possibilities that she will be able to proceed with after her probation time is over. With the adjudication withheld sentence, does that mean that the sky is the limit with her career choices? How do I find out what she can and can't do as it relates to her career choices? We are in a rural area, and medical, corrections, and educational careers are the major money payers. There are next to no major businesses or factories to draw from. She has 3 little girls - from ages 7 to 3. She has great potential to overcome this, but is concerned about the possibilities she has. She doesn't want to spend time getting a degree she won't be able to use.

Help if you can!

Thanks

Beth3

I'm not aware of any jobs that are absolutely closed to someone with a criminal conviction. That really is a matter of company policy, whether bonding is required, the type of job the individual is pursuing and so forth. Additionally, employers on the whole are more forgiving of incidents that happen during one's youth, especially for non-violent and non-drug related crimes. It's widely understood that teens often make really bad decisions and when there's no repetition of similar bad judgment, over time the conviction usually becomes a moot point.

Your student really should pursue the career field she's interested in, just like anyone else.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In SOME states, SOME industries are closed to people will SOME convictions. For example, in my state you cannot be employed at a nursing home unless your CORI check is absolutely clean. BUt for the most part, what Beth says is correct; it is a matter of company policy. What she should do is enquire of the licensing agency, if any, for the field that interests her in the state where she will be practicing.

CO19

janah said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL

I am a teacher at an adult school. I have a student that had a felony charge of grand theft and fordging a false instrument(?). She has a two year probation, but states that adjudication is withheld.

> Adjudication withheld is not a considered a conviction in FL. However, that dispo could change if she doesn't not successfully complete the probation period. In the interim, employers can consider this change and screening firms can report. As CBG and Beth already stated, her career limitations will be predicated on the career field of choice, state licensing guidelines, lapse of time b/w charge and application, nature of job, etc..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">