• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A little direction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yikesimfreaked

What is the name of your state? IN

hola.

I'm a student and would like to know if any attorneys or paralegals are able to help out. I'm doing a writing assignment for my legal research class and could use a little direction on this case study. I'm not looking for anyone to answer the situation, but to possibly point me in the direction. Here is the situation that I've been given:

Jonas Grumby, a sea captain by trade, enters your office for consultation.

Captain Grumby was hire by howell Industries to transport goods from its plant in Gary, Indiana to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, about a three hour trip. After loading the cargo ship with Howell Industries' product, along with other cargo, Grumby and his first mate, Gil Ligan, set out on the turn. The weather started getting rough and the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the mighty crew, the ship would have been lost. Grumby ordered cargo thrown overboard to save the ship. Howell is now suing for the lost cargo.

Please write a memo detailing Grumby's rights and responsibilities regarding the cargo. Include any authorities and an opinion of Grumby's liability.

mitousmom

Sometimes, I help with homework. But your situation is not in my area of expertise. This is an employment forum and the siutation you describe has nothing to do with employment. Try the business section.

yikesimfreaked

I can point you in the direction of your professer, your TA, and your law library.
unfortunately our prof wont help us. i thought the legal field was one of those places where lawyers and other people involved could discuss issues? im not asking you to do it for me. i just need some direction.

ecmst12

I highly doubt your prof would have given this assignment without giving you SOME idea of how to research it. Textbook, lecture notes, other books to check out. How are your classmates handling it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your classmates aren't on message boards having other people tell them where to look for answers. Where are they getting THEIR direction?

That's where you should be.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? IN

hola.

I'm a student and would like to know if any attorneys or paralegals are able to help out. I'm doing a writing assignment for my legal research class and could use a little direction on this case study. I'm not looking for anyone to answer the situation, but to possibly point me in the direction. Here is the situation that I've been given:

Jonas Grumby, a sea captain by trade, enters your office for consultation.

Captain Grumby was hire by howell Industries to transport goods from its plant in Gary, Indiana to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, about a three hour trip. After loading the cargo ship with Howell Industries' product, along with other cargo, Grumby and his first mate, Gil Ligan, set out on the turn. The weather started getting rough and the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the mighty crew, the ship would have been lost. Grumby ordered cargo thrown overboard to save the ship. Howell is now suing for the lost cargo.

Please write a memo detailing Grumby's rights and responsibilities regarding the cargo. Include any authorities and an opinion of Grumby's liability.
I personally LOVE homework. :)

Actually, I hate homework, but given the caliber of posters that have been here this week, this is looking mighty attractive. . . . . . ;)

start here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carriage_of_Goods_by_Sea_Act

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, he's taking a class in legal research, asking other people to tell him where to do his research, and you're going to look up the websites for him?

fairisfair

So, he's taking a class in legal research, asking other people to tell him where to do his research, and you're going to look up the websites for him?
no. He is doing a WRITING ASSIGNMENT. NOT a research project.

If I wrote it for him, then you could flip a biatch. :rolleyes::p:D

Last edited:

fairisfair

I disagree - I think he has to write a paper summarizing the research he has done...
Oh,poohhh!!!

I know that. but I don't see the problem in giving him a starting point. He can go from there on his own.

I think I will do the research, since Tranquility is apparently willing to write the paper.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The rest of you just TRY to stop us.

BAHAHAHAHHAHA:p:p:p

ecmst12

Besides, if he tries to use Wikipedia as his sole source of info, he's going to fail anyway. He's still gonna have to do REAL research :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">