• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locked out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pace61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I have been locked out of my form place of employment. How long do they have to let me back in to collect my personal effect? They have closed all location of the company.

JETX

I have been locked out of my form place of employment.
Who locked you out... and what is YOUR relationship to who did lock you out??

How long do they have to let me back in to collect my personal effect?
They may not have to at all. What did you leave?? Why did you leave it?? How how long has it been since you left it? Why did you leave your property in THEIR premises?

They have closed all location of the company.
Who is 'they'??

Pace61

Locked Out

The company I worked for closed all it's doors without notice. The employees were notified by letter over the week-end that the company was closing and all the locks have been changed to protect the owners assets. I have left numerous item with mostly with little monitary value, but a lot of personal value.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law that says, 'When the company closes without notice, the employer has x days to ship the employees their belongings". They'll get shipped when they get shipped. We do not have a crystal ball to see into the future and know exactly when, among the millions of things an employer has to do when they close a business, this particular item will appear at the top of the list.

Pace61

Thanks, I guess the employer has the advantage again and all I can do is hope they return my stuff. How long do I wait until take action?

eerelations

There is no set time frame for "taking action" (which in this case would be filing a claim in small claims court). You can take action now, tomorrow, or in next week, or in a month, whatever's convenient for you. However, the judge will want to know what steps you took to get your stuff back, and calling your former employer would be a good one...have you tried this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">