• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Longer Work Week - Same Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

ZELDA51

I work in Maryland.

Presently we work 35 hours per week. I am part of the clerical staff and we are considered hourly employees. The company is considering going to a 40 hour week. We were happy until we realized that they do not intend to compensate us for the extra five hours. Can they do this? Right now, if I am asked to come in early or stay late, I am compensated for the extra time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you mean that they are going to ask you to work those 5 hours for free, no, they can't do that. But if you mean they are going to change your hourly rate so that 40 hours of the new rate equals 35 hours of the old rate, they can do that so long as they give you advance notice. They can't make the change retroactively for hours that have already been worked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">