• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

losing job due to depression?? "abandonment"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autopainter

I have a question I hope someone can help me with this.

I had the same job for 12 years,my Gramma who raised me since I was 8 went into the hospital due to a diabetic infection, I immediately told my work that " I'm sorry, I have to take some time off right now,shes important to me" with in 2 months time she past away, I had to deal with so much with having to personally pay for her funeral and fight with her ungrateful children who only care about " what can WE get " ,.. I have a history of depression (paper trail) through my Doctors,..I was out of work maybe 3-4 months total with the time she went in 'til the time after she past; away from my job.

I finally tried to get my head together and go back to work,they said " well you abandoned the job,you are no longer an employee here" since depression is consitered a Disability ( and Ive been fighting them since getting a blood clot and tearing my LCL,which I still need REAL medical attention for)

I guess my question is: can someone who loses their job due to depression claim Disability?

I'm not lazy,I went from making 60k a year in a job I enjoyed for 12 years,.. I didnt just wake up one morning and say " Hmm,.. I dont feel like working anymore,I think I'll just live off the Government and make LESS in a MONTH than I did in a WEEK"

but since now dealing with the Disability people for my clot and torn LCL, I've been screwed around for a year now, had to pretty much sell everything I worked hard for to survive (barely) & I just want to speed this up, so I can get the stress of not having money & medical attention and get myself better to get back to working and getting my life back in order. :(

if anyone can help me along in the right direction I thank you very much in advance!

What is the name of your state? IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since IL does not have a state disability plan, whether or not you can submit a claim (to whatever policy you refer) will depend on the plan itself.

ecmst12

I hope you are getting treatment for your depression as well as your physical problems - that is "real" medical attention too, and just as important to getting you ready to face the workforce again.

Beth3

I'm sorry for what you've been through but if you asked for some leave time and then your employer never heard from you again, they appropriately considered you to have abandoned your job.

but since now dealing with the Disability people for my clot and torn LCL, What "disability people" are you referring to? The social security administration or some other entity?

autopainter

I hope you are getting treatment for your depression as well as your physical problems - that is "real" medical attention too, and just as important to getting you ready to face the workforce again.
DHS sent me a thing in the mail to see a Psychiatrist ( basically just seemed an interview) , which I think was just a quick mental evaluation, she got to the part about depression,..asked things like "have you ever thought of suicide?" I said yes, she said "you know,.. I should be admitting you to a hospital right now!" well,.. she didnt,..

she gave me a list of Mental Health facilities, I called one and they wanted $150 for the visit up front!! I'm literally tapped out of money, had to leave the house I was renting for the past 4 years cuz I couldnt afford it any longer,a friend offered me to stay at his house til I get on my feet with the DHS people ( and get my body and injuries on my knee fixed) I had to sell m y car just to help me live a little longer financially, I'm now down to $35 to my NAME!! how do these people expect me to PAY to see a Psychiatrist? I can barely afford food!

I was denied once, and am on my second try with DHS, I called yesterday and they said a decision was made with my claim and I should be hearing something in a few weeks,... I'm guessing that since she didnt give me a straight up yes or no that I was approved, I guess I have to take it as a "no" :mad:

if I could psychically work at the moment,.. I would, even my old employer I was terminated from from "job abandonment" has offered to take me back,.. but since Ive been so screwed with my knee, I cant do the job I used to do, I have a knee that will give out just stepping in a weird way and BAM I'm on the ground, doing more damage to my knee. from limping its now screwed up my tailbone and hips, to the point I can hardly stand for more than 10 minutes without feeling like I'm going to collapse ! I've been having to use a cane to get around because I can hardly hold myself up for a short period of time and the lack of safety with my knee,.. I just turned 32 last month and feel like I just turned 82!

with the added stress of physically mest up,watching my entire life turn to crap before my eyes with feeling like theres nothing I can do about it,and dealing with DHS Oct '06,its not helping me mentally,...its mest up when you look in your wallet and know you have $35 to your name,that can either go for food, or rope to hang yourself. I dont know what to do anymore

ecmst12

Health insurance covers mental health as well. You don't necessarily need a psychiatrist, just a therapist would be a good start. If you don't have health insurance, seek out a local clinic; they will usually work with patients and charge on a sliding scale if needed. The most important thing is to get treatment - your mind is JUST as important as your body!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">