• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost job b/c company found out about interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msue16

What is the name of your state? California
The story is that I interviewed with a company and the head HR woman turned out to be best friends with my head sales manager. She told him about the interview and subsequently my company told me to quit or be fired. I assumed it was implicit with the company I interviewed with not to contact my current company (they knew I still worked there) and furthermore they did not get the contact info for my head sales manager from me, this HR woman only had it b/c they're friends. Can I hold the woman or the company responsible for the loss of my job? Furthermore, I have now been disqualified from another new position b/c they found out about the situation. Can any justice be served here? :)

P

Pfaffing85690

Furthermore, I have now been disqualified from another new position b/c they found out about the situation. Can any justice be served here? :)
Sure it can. Next time either wait until you quit to look for a job or take your lumps. I would have done the same as your employer .

Oh, and by the way, nothing done by your employer OR the interviewing company was illegal.

M

msue16

what about this

First of all, thanks so much for your empathy. It's refreshing to see someone care about others.....Secondly why did I read on this site a similar question where the response was that the person had violated the interviewees right to work and that they could possibly pursue this on grounds of intentional and negligent interference with contractual relations, intentional and negligent interference with prospective economic advantage, civil conspiracy, negligence, and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress? Is this totally wrong or does it somehow not apply to my situation? And if not how so?

P

Pfaffing85690

Post the thread where you read that. I am a regular here and that has NEVER been said about your exact situation.

Beth3

"Can I hold the woman or the company responsible for the loss of my job?" Legally, no. Professional ethics dictate the HR person keep this information to herself (shame on her) but she didn't violate any laws by blabbing.

I agree with Pfaff on your second question too. (1) There's never been any response where someone posted all that legal mumbo-jumbo ("civil conspiracy"? Puh-leeze) and (2) none of those apply to your situation.

mykoleary

BTW - if you did choose the fire option instead of quitting (I hope so...) then don't forget to truck on down to the local unemployment office this afternoon and file for benefits...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">