• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost my job due to off job injury.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdog1958

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I suffered an injury off the job site and had to go on STD. That turned into 4 operations and having to go on LTD. During this time my employer terminated me. Is this wrongful on my ex employer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I suffered an injury off the job site and had to go on STD. That turned into 4 operations and having to go on LTD. During this time my employer terminated me. Is this wrongful on my ex employer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How long were you out? Were you on FMLA?

ecmst12

If you qualified for FMLA, the longest they were required to hold your job for you was 12 weeks. Sounds like it's been quite a bit longer then that. Without FMLA, they don't have to hold your job at all.

mlane58

If you qualified for FMLA, the longest they were required to hold your job for you was 12 weeks. Sounds like it's been quite a bit longer then that. Without FMLA, they don't have to hold your job at all.
Not neccessarily. Some STD polcies are a lot shorter than 26 or 12 weeks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line is that unless you had a bona fide, legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, the longest the employer was required to hold your job was 12 weeks. If you were out for longer than 12 weeks, it was not an illegal termination.

I do have one additional thought, but before I address it, can you give us a rough idea how much time you have missed, and the approximate time your doctor believes you will be able to return to work? It makes a difference to whether or not this final thought applies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">