• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lowes background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JerzeeGrl

What is the name of your state?nj: Hi, I recently applied for a postion at my local Lowes Home Improvement. I was called for interview, and the manager saw that I was overqualified for the position I applied, and was pretty much given my choice of position in the store w/ a higher salary than anticipated. Now, they did a background check. I have one prior felony, from 2 years ago. Which was: attempt to obtain cds fraudulently. Since it was the first time I was ever in trouble, they gave me PTI for 1 year. Now it was my understanding that PTI was basically for first time offenders and that it would not show up on my record. I really wasn't concerned about it showing up on my record at the time because I had been employeed at the same company for 10 years. However, the guy I worked for was injured and the company went under. I guess my question is, how should I approach this situation. The woman from Human Resources hasn't gotten back to me as of yet, however I got a copy of their background check in the mail. Also, a friend of mine's ex- boyfriend is a store manager at the same lowes and he had felony convictions for drug (cocaine) offenses however, they were over 7 years old and Lowes only goes back 7 years. Should I ask him if he can help influence the Human Resources woman. Keep in mind that the GM of the store found me very qualified for the positon. Any advice? Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Before I respond, I want to ask you a question. When you applied for the position, was anything asked, either in the interview or on the application form, which answered literally and truthfully would have revealed the conviction, and if so what did you say?

JerzeeGrl

HI, I did say that I was not arrested or convicted in the last 5 years, and I know, that is a whole nother issue all in itslef. However, I was led to believe that PTI was to avoid a criminal record. It sure seems to defeat the purpose of the program. I called my probation officer and asked her if it would show up and she said yes, this was after I was offered the position. She said, if they have any problems, have them call me. So what am I supposed to do? say to the human resources lady " No, I am not a criminal, you can even ask my probation officer??" :confused: Mind you, I was 32 years old when I incurred this charge and I had never been in trouble before in my life. So how do you think I should approach the situation. Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think you should wait and see what Lowes' does. IF they decline to hire you because of what they will see as a falsification of your application, THEN you should explain why you thought you were entitled to answer the question "no". Until then, leave well enough alone. If you have still not heard from them after a week to ten days, you might call them and ask for a status on the position.

DO NOT ask the guy with a drug conviction to intercede for you.

For the record, unless your state law addresses PTI's VERY specifically with regards to employment applications, it is always safest to answer any questions about convictions literally and truthfully, even if that means disclosing a conviction that you do not feel you should have to reveal. Employers do not like being blindsided. They are MUCH more likely to forgive a conviction that you were honest about, then your lying about whether you have been convicted or not.

JerzeeGrl

I think you are right, I am just going to wait and see. I just really need this job, I have been a stay at home mom for 11 years, and now I am a single mom w/ 3 kids. Home improvements is the one area I am extremely farmiliar with, because my x had his own G.C. business. Lets face there is not much of a demand for women in the home improvemnt field these days. I will wait and see and update you when I hear something. Thanks ever so much.

JerzeeGrl

WEll, I got my official, "no thank you" letter in the mail yesterday from lowes. However, I have prepared a letter that I am going to sent over to the lady in the HR dept. Explaining why I believed I was entitled to answer the questions the way that I did, and if she would give me the opportunity to explain the situation that put me on PTI, that I would be more than willing to to sit down and explain it to her. So we will go from there, Cross your fingers for me. I really need this job. Thanks,

pattytx

Assuming they did not do the checking themselves (I doubt very seriously that such a large employer would), if what they found was the reason you were not hired, my understanding is that, under the FCRA, they have to tell you that. Did the "Dear John" letter state that reason specifically? If not, you're jumping to conclusions here. It's very possible it had nothing to do with it. We don't all get the jobs we think we are perfect for. I know, I've been out of work three months myself. But, I guess you can do what you want, as you really have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Ok...I must be a dunderhead! What exactly is "obtaining cds fraudulently?" You mean a CD at a financial institution? Music CDs? Is that codeword for some medication I'm not familiar with?

And what is a PTI?

I need to hang out with more criminals! I don't know any of the lingo! :D

HomeGuru

SuzieWahoozie said:
Ok...I must be a dunderhead! What exactly is "obtaining cds fraudulently?" You mean a CD at a financial institution? Music CDs? Is that codeword for some medication I'm not familiar with?

And what is a PTI?

I need to hang out with more criminals! I don't know any of the lingo! :D
**A: you don't know what a PTI is. Such a PITY.

kegthegolfer

lowe's background check

I can understand how you feel. I was recently hired and fired because of the background check. I told them i had a record and that it was 23 years old. They hired me but when the check came back I was let go. A 23 yr old record spotless since can you believe it.

pattytx

kegolfer, this thread is almost SIX YEARS old. Nobody cares that you had this same situation, especially the OP. Do not post to long dead threads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">