• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lunch Hour -being totally relieved of duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jro0813

I am a Rn who works in the ICU. We respond to `Code Blues' if they are called. It is understood that if we are not the designated Code Rn, we are to report back to ICU to cover the unit and prepare for a possible transfer depending on the out-come of the code. The employer takes 30 min. out for lunch. We are not allowed to leave the building and must be readily avaiable to respond to the codes. My understanding is that we must be totally relieved of duty for the employer to deduct the lunch time. Any thoughts or comments or specific regulations you can tell me. THANKS

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I am not sure if you are asking if you can take lunch while on duty?

But here is some information that may or may not help:

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS ON TAKING LUNCH?
With the exception of the broadcasting and motion picture industries, the rule for meal periods is that no person may be employed for a work period of more than five hours without a meal period of not less than 30 minutes. However, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent if a work period of not more than six hours will complete the day's work. Unless the employee is completely relieved of duty, the meal period must be considered time worked. Also, if employees must eat on the premises, a suitable place for that purpose must be designated

You also need to tell us from which state you are.

J

jro0813

lunch hour

Lawrat -I am from NC-- the `completely relieved of duty' is the part in question. With us having to be readily avaiable to respond to codes and not having the opportunity to leave the building and walk as other depts. or Rn's do during their lunch. I see that as still being on duty or at the very min. being all call. Again any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">