• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Made up resume

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nitxMan

If I lie on my resume, lie in the interviews, and get the job can the employer take any legal action against me besides firing me?

B

buddy2bear

Depends. You are, in reality, commiting fraud, holding yourself out to be something you are not. However, employers don't like to spend the money and time to punish you for it, so chances are firing you would be it, unless, of course, you "pretended" to be a lawyer, doctor, police officer, etc., then they would go after you.

HomeGuru

nitxMan said:
If I lie on my resume, lie in the interviews, and get the job can the employer take any legal action against me besides firing me?

HomeGuru response:
It depends what kind of a job you do.
Heck, if you worked for The White House a an intern, you would not get fired, you would get promoted.

A

Andrea Breaux

Yes, but what if you didn't lie but presented yourself to be excellent at a certain skill ( for instance ) when you are perhaps mediocre? Does this count as lying?? I thought when you create your resume the whole objective is to impress the prospective employer with a resume that will attract them to you. Tell the truth! Would you hire someone who said they're okay and not the best?? Or would you just throw the resume away because they told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!!

I don't advocate lying about skills or education on the resume but isn't it usually the ones who know how to word things with the art of persuasion rather than the honest Abe's that get the jobs!!!

[Edited by Andrea Breaux on 12-21-2000 at 01:11 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">