• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mail privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xferen

My boss at a nonprofit in Minnesota routinely opens all my mail. This is insulting, of course, but my job also involves the exchange of confidential health-related information with my clients. She insists that she has the right to do this owing to an esoteric law regarding nonprofits, but I would like to know whether that's the case: are bosses legally entitled to open their subordinates' mail? Thank you.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

To the best of my knowledge, opeining mail delivered by the U.S. postal service that is not addressed to you is a Federal Crime.

Email on your company computer CAN be read by anyone, so far. The computers are the property of the company.

As for interoffice mail, I don't know.

My advice: Go to, or call your local post office and ask them about mail delivered by the United States Postal Service.

P. S. What action do you intend to take?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">