• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major Lay-Off at Macy*s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marie153

What is the name of your state?This is a question for the state of Massachusetts.

I am a 17 yr employee of Macy*s Department Store which is owned by Federated. Federated, within the past 8 months, has purchased Filene's Department Store. The mall where I work has both a Filenes and a Macys. We were told the Filenes store would be closing, but that "all employees in good standing in Macy*s would retain their jobs". The Filenes store in our mall is union, while the Macy*s store is not. Because the Filene's location is better, Macy*s will close their doors and then re-open in the Filene's building, but still retain the Macy*s name.

We were informed yesterday (1/19) that because the Filene's building had been union, and that part of the original purchase was that Macy*s would be required to honor a certain amount of union stores, the Macy*s employees would be losing our jobs. Because the Filene's employees were union to begin with, they take presedence over the non-union employees. However, the Filene's name would be gone and they would become Macy*s employees.

Is this legal? I know this is only a forum, but any information is appreciated. Thank you!

HomeGuru

Marie153 said:
What is the name of your state?This is a question for the state of Massachusetts.

I am a 17 yr employee of Macy*s Department Store which is owned by Federated. Federated, within the past 8 months, has purchased Filene's Department Store. The mall where I work has both a Filenes and a Macys. We were told the Filenes store would be closing, but that "all employees in good standing in Macy*s would retain their jobs". The Filenes store in our mall is union, while the Macy*s store is not. Because the Filene's location is better, Macy*s will close their doors and then re-open in the Filene's building, but still retain the Macy*s name.

We were informed yesterday (1/19) that because the Filene's building had been union, and that part of the original purchase was that Macy*s would be required to honor a certain amount of union stores, the Macy*s employees would be losing our jobs. Because the Filene's employees were union to begin with, they take presedence over the non-union employees. However, the Filene's name would be gone and they would become Macy*s employees.

Is this legal? I know this is only a forum, but any information is appreciated. Thank you!

**A: yes it is legal.

mlane58

Because the Filene's employees were union to begin with, they take presedence over the non-union employees.
The union employees have a contract. You being an at will employee can be fired or layed off for any reason other than your race, gender, relgion, age, etc......

T

Trucking Mad

HomeGuru said:
**A: yes it is legal.
Another Lame answer...Please excuse the brain dead HG...Anyone here could guess. The corporate world thinks they could do whatever the please as long as they get away with it! :cool:

gawm

Trucking Mad said:
Another Lame answer...Please excuse the brain dead HG...Anyone here could guess. The corporate world thinks they could do whatever the please as long as they get away with it! :cool:
Can you please not follow every post of HG's with how lame his answers are because that is REALLY LAME & ANNOYING! THANK YOU!

T

Trucking Mad

gawm said:
Can you please not follow every post of HG's with how lame his answers are because that is REALLY LAME & ANNOYING! THANK YOU!
IGNORE..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :cool:

mlane58

Another Lame answer...
Another idiot who doesn't like the message.
Anyone here could guess
you didn't because you didn't give the poster any advice, you just spewed crap out of your mouth as usual.
The corporate world thinks they could do whatever the please as long as they get away with it!
If you don't like the legal answers, write to your elected representative and ask them to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeGuru

Trucking Mad said:

**A: Ok you trucking idiot. Post the state statute that proves my response is incorrect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">